Sunday, May 6, 2012


Joy in Toon Town
Most often my ramblings about trips down south are recollections of near misses, tense moments and surprising adventures.  Of course there is lots of fun thrown in….otherwise you think I’d keep going back for more?  You see, I’m not really a “Disneyland person”, at least I wasn’t before Kristin.  From infancy I had major issues with motion sickness…to give you an idea, I don’t feel well if I sit in a rocking chair and someone (Krissy) walks by and pushes it.  But this is the place our daughter looks forward to and loves more than anywhere else.  With her autism significantly impacting her life, I’ve been grateful to be able to share these joyful experiences with her, whenever we have the opportunity.
We had an experience on Friday that though I will never forget it, I wanted to try and capture it on paper and share it with you.  I am moved to tears even as I recall it.  You see, I found myself standing on a little slice of Holy Ground….in Mickey’s Barn, of all places. Before you decide I’m crazy or maybe irreverent, hear my story. 
Krissy and I proceeded thru Mickey’s house in Toon Town, out to the movie barn where the ‘meet and greet’ takes place.  It was nearing the end of our last day there.  After a 15 minute wait, it was our turn to go in with our group of 12 or so.  In front of us was a young woman, maybe 15, with her parents.  She was severely disabled physically…semi-reclined in her wheelchair with limbs contracted.   It was her turn and Mickey gently took her hands in his gloves.  She apparently couldn’t speak, but then Mickey doesn’t either.  Trust me here, no words were needed.  That roomful of people went quiet and she was the total focus.  Mickey was in no hurry.  He approached her as though she was the only child in the universe.  He gently rubbed her head….he nuzzled that big ol’ mouse nose against her cheek. Her smile was a mile wide…everyone was captivated by her joy.  I’ve see a lot of nice ‘cast members’ be very kind and accommodating…but I’ve never experienced what we saw.   I have no doubt that under that costume was a heart that belongs to Jesus.  Because isn’t that just like Him…to show up in unexpected places and leave no doubt who’s Presence we are truly enjoying? 
I never expected a sacred moment in Toon Town, but that’s how I described it in a phone call to my husband shortly afterwards.  And I’ve decided I can’t wait for Krissy to ask me some day if Mickey Mouse will be in Heaven.  I won’t have to think twice before answering~

No comments:

Post a Comment