Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Benjamin has picked up a lot of technology over the past 18 hrs.  He is hooked up or attached to so many things...he's got a PICC line (central IV line that goes from his upper arm to his heart), a foley cathether :o(, a nose tube, oxygen and 5 IV pumps at last count.  

I wish we knew what was going on with him.  Over the years, we've learned that when we hear "this is probably a virus" the translation is "we have no idea what's wrong".  As Anne said, "If this is a virus, I sure hope we don't all get it." Thankfully we got the surgeon back this morning that I have more confidence in than the guy last night who, over the years has consistently preferred to have his head in the sand.  His closing remark to me in answer to  my asking him some questions to try and make sense of it was "You can just let us worry about some of this stuff."  Grrrr.  Thems fighting words to a mama with 41 hrs since I last had sleep. Thankfully I heeded the still small voice to not verbalize further thoughts...  

Anne has been a real support to me here.  She ordered me to bed late last night (there's one right in the room) and said she would call me if anything came up.  I found out at 6am that she stayed awake all night beside his crib.  Her words "how could I tell you if anything happened if I was asleep?"  I sure appreciate her.  She's crashed now on the bed.  We've had about a dozen MD's thru this am already.  Just heard that his lab work for c.difficile toxin came back positive...a bacterial infection in the bowel...so at least we know part of what we're dealing with. He had this one other time when he was about 2 yrs. old.  They did say that he would not be moved from ICU today as he is requiring alot of care and interventions...more than they are prepared to deal with on the general pediatric floor.  

Thanks for keeping Benjamin in your prayers.  We're thankful to be in good hands here, but mostly thankful that we can rest with confidence in the hands of God.

Love, Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment