Tuesday, July 13, 2010

So much better

Hi again~Good news to report!  Benjamin just keeps getting better.  Yesterday I unhooked his oxygen hose to change his shirt and thought it might be interesting to see how he did off of it.  It wasn't like he was going to stop breathing...I just didn't know if his levels would begin to drop.  But they didn't!  I was quite sure he'd need it again overnight, and he has never needed it since.   This is evidence that the fluid has come out of his lungs.  I'll tell you, we've gone thru a number of packages of diapers...they gave him something to get rid of all this IV fluid they loaded him up with in the ICU. Just yesterday his wet diapers accounted for 3 liters alone.   He's gone from looking deceptively plump to seeing how thin he really is.

But today, we started him back on oral feeding...very diluted formula at first, but now he's up to 1/2 strength and is tolerating it fine.  I've asked to go home tomorrow.  The older surgeon we have is super conservative and my take is that if he thinks this was my idea, he won't like it.  We can do IV antibiotics at home as well as overnight fluids if he needs them, so a number of the staff is cheering us on.  I'll let you know what happens.  

We both had some good sleep last night thanks to IV Benadryl (Ben) and utter exhaustion (Mom), but seriously it was a real answer to your prayers.  I could use another one like it.  
It would be wonderful to have an uneventful night and continue a smooth transition to home tomorrow.   Let's pray to that end if God wills.

Love Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment