Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Good Evening,

Well, it was cold cold day to go and visit the Outdoor School site.  Krissy and I (sort of) braved the elements (which included moving parts of a fallen tree out of the road ).  The ODS folks were very nice and thought we'd really enjoy a comprehensive tour of the grounds...which would have been nice maybe if the wind chill factor hadn't have been below 20 degrees...It was just way too cold to be able to appreciate the place.  We went 'over to the river and thru the woods', not to mention out on the bluff where there is a major drop off of a cliff.  I suggested they keep her way away from that.  We toured the cabin, where I observed there was 2 doors, both of which must remain unlocked.  That solidified the decision that we would have Kris come home each evening and sleep in her own room.  Larry and I had talked and felt like this was the best option anyway, but this put an exclamation point at the end of that decision! How would I know the counselor would wake up if she slipped out?...how would they find her in the dark?....actually she would be singing or talking, so they probably would, but I just don't want to take any chances of her running off in the dark, perhaps toward the bluff.  We did come away realizing that she needs lots of warm clothes...it's out towards the Columbia Gorge where bitter winds are common.  The kids spend all day out on field expeditions and the like. We met the camp leadership...well sort of anyway.  I remember a man who was introduced as Snake, and 3 women named Lorax, Wish and Tofu.  Tofu will be Krissy's 1:1 shadow I think along with her  yet to be re-named classroom assistant.   I can hardly wait to hear what she wants us to call her when she comes home. 

Jamie and I took Krissy to the pool yesterday.  The first 30 minutes, Jamie went and worked out so I was on my own.  She first wanted to go in the large hot tub, so we did.  She immediately was fascinated with an elderly man across the pond, the only other occupant.  He looked about 90 and had a (for lack of a better description) turkey chin sort of thing going, which absolutely riveted Kris.  She sat stroking her chin as she studied him.  Then she started towards him, and I intervened and said, "stay over here". She said "give a kiss?".  I said "no, we don't kiss people we don't know"...I knew she was going over to check out the chin.  A few minutes later a 30-something guy got in and was planning to relax I would guess.  Nope.  She was about 3 feet in front of him and all of the sudden hit the water with both hands totally nailing the guy in the face with a spray of water (Think "SeaWorld" where Shamu disappears and then all of the sudden you just see his tail  prior to the tidal wave of water drenching you) I was completely surprised...no warning, apparently she just thought of it and decided to go for it. She seemed rather bent on plastering people yesterday as a bit later she also repeatedly splashed at an employee who had come into the pool area (not intending to get wet, judging from the full athletic suit she was wearing).  So I have written up pool rules that she and Molly took with them today and I'm hoping for a better report when they return.  Praying for you Molly!

No comments:

Post a Comment