Sunday, October 18, 2009


Hello again...I'm sitting here at the computer this morning, taking some deep breaths and trying to get my heart rate back to normal.  You may wonder, "why on earth would Janelle need to calm down when it's so early, it's still dark out"  Actually several of us are very awake...Larry, Anne, KRISTIN and me.  

Though the day (apparently) started much earlier for Kristin, Larry and Anne heard the phone ring just before 6:30.  We normally wouldn't see Anne very early, but she had suddenly woke up 5 minutes before the phone rang, puzzled herself as to why, so she figured God had awakened her and began praying for her friends (next time pray for your sister! :o))  Larry didn't get to the phone in time, but saw that it was a blocked call,  so thought it might be our neighbor (which would immediately cause us to think at that time of the day, that it wasn't a social call).  Larry called me and I ran downstairs to find the front door open.  Anne arrived in time to wonder why I was doing the 'trip and recover' maneuver repeatedly on the steps (apparently I don't do well running up the stairs when I'm frantic, though I think if I'd had my coffee I possibly would have been more coordinated) Larry and Anne took to the street (the neighbor didn't appear to be up so we didn't go there) while I ran back in the house and grabbed the cell phone and one of Krissy's AWOL sheets.  I called 911 while Larry & Anne got in the car.  Towards the end of the 911 conversation, the dispatcher said, "it looks like a Tri-Met (bus) driver has called".  I was walking out the front door at this point and saw 2 police cars, one of which had Krissy in the back, out in front.  She was very calm, and got out with her hands full of her toys she had packed along with her.  She also had thought to put shoes on, a first for her in her escape history, and they were the ones that have flashing lights in the sole.  The bus driver had called the police when she (Kris says it was a young woman!) spotted her on Powell Blvd.  The police said she was out in the middle of the road (in her purple sleeper, in the dark).  She did tell them her name and when they asked her what her mommy's name was, she said "Janelle".  They said she would only tell them once and they almost didn't catch it.  Larry doesn't love it that she calls us by our first names, but I think it did pay off this morning...it wouldn't have been too helpful if she had answered "Mom" but her (extreme) familiarity and frequent usage of my first name in recent months was probably good in this case.  They put my name into the computer and it pulled up our demographic info, so they were the blocked call.  It's so wonderful when the system works...they said I was probably in there from calling before when this has happened.  They thought she had traveled about 2 miles and felt from what she told them, she was going to Red Robin.  This is a very recent interest and I have no idea why.  She's never been there and I really don't think it would be of much interest.  However I will plan to get her there SOON (not as a reward for this morning) but I think she'll lose interest once she sees it.  The officers took her AWOL sheet and said they'll post it in the records room so others will see it.  We told them it was her first night back in her 12k remodeled room that was suppose to be Krissy-proof.  There is no evidence for how she pulled it off.  I plan to take her down later (after sufficient caffeine to trust myself on stairs, Anne) and we'll both go inside and I'll have her try and get out.  I really need to know before Larry goes to work tonight if she can do this again.  

So, this must have been therapeutic journaling as I'm pretty calm now....thank you!  I'm so thankful for God watching over us even while we sleep (and she's awake) and for Him assigning a 'top squad' of guardian angels that doesn't mind the night shift,  to travel with Krissy.  We're so aware that when this happens that there could be a very different and tragic outcome.  We're thankful for the kindness and understanding of the Gresham Police Department, who consistently treat Kristin with respect and our family with dignity.  While at times we feel responsible and even aghast at her behavior, they never make us feel like losers.  And thank the Lord for the alert bus driver who spotted either Krissy or her flashing shoes and took the time to investigate.

On another note, we feel like Benjamin is showing some improvement and we're now very hopeful that we'll get thru this without a hospitalizaton.   There are so many kids in the hospital with influenza right now, I would hate to have to go in and risk that exposure.

Thanks for your prayers for us and our family~

No comments:

Post a Comment