Saturday, January 30, 2010

Doernbecher




I'm hoping to settle down here and get some sleep while Benjamin does the same.  We arrived at the hospital this morning and after about 3 hrs. in the Emergency Room, we finally got into a regular hospital room.  Benjamin needed some fluids and is already looking better this evening.  He wants to leave so bad...I feel sorry for him.  He's trying to do all he can to let me know what he wants (i.e. holding onto his backpack, trying to climb out of the crib and his buggy). Poor little guy. The left photo was taken early this morning.  Jamie was sitting with him where he had decided to rest, right in the middle of the kitchen floor, while I got a shower.  Then there is one above of him here, once he got feeling a bit perked up with the fluids.  Then up top is the hospital white board in our room.  I couldn't resist putting my goals for Benjamin on it, first thing when we arrived.   

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Larry arrived home from work this morning with a new cold, so he is at home tonight with the kids.  We hear Kristin had a great day with Melissa at our house.  

It's been a really long day, telling and re-telling our story a number of times.  One of these was with a 2nd year medical student.  I was part way thru a rather detailed history of Benjamin's various surgeries when he stopped me and said "maybe you could help me learn...can you tell me what an ostomy is?"  I paused for a moment trying to calculate how much of the information I had just drenched him with probably didn't make much sense.  That just wasn't a question I would have seen coming.

Ok...I'm really going to try and get the lights out here before midnight.  I had a wonderful visit with my friend and former boss Susie this evening.  She came up and spent several hours visiting with me and brought me cookies she had baked....then took me over to the cafeteria for dinner late this evening.  I had missed lunch too, so I was ready for something healthy.   Benjamin was sound asleep when we returned.  

Rest well...I'll update you again soon!

Love janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment