Thursday, January 7, 2010


Hello again....

I wanted to let you know that Krissy had a good first day at her new school yesterday.  She was very excited to go from the time she got up.  Her bus buddy Kris, parks her car at our house about 7:25, then rides to/from school with Krissy.  I think it was a good sign that Kristin was quite eager to be going back again today.

Larry, Jamie, Kristin and I were able to visit Pathways Community School on Tuesday afternoon.  There weren't any kids there at 4pm (contributing to the nice peaceful environment we experienced!) and that ended up being a great opportunity for Kris and us to be able to stroll thru the building.  They have such a nice set up with a great sensory room, lots of different options for activities, a cute little cafeteria and a beautiful gym area (formerly the Gresham Roller Rink for any of you older folks like me who skated there as kids).  There isn't any outdoor play option, which I am grateful for.  Her class has 10 kids and 12 staff.  She gets to go to the gym 3 times a day (2 informal times, 1 PE) where they have 'bikes', scooters and all sorts of fun things to do.  We came away feeling very comfortable with the environment and seeing how much more suited to Kristin's need it is, rather than a large regular school.  

A very wonderful thing about Christmas vacation that we saw was how well she did here at home (the meltdown Saturday night at bedtime was the only one in about 3 weeks ).  As you know we were waiting for an appointment with the MD to see about getting some medication for her.   We are much more content now to delay and hopefully avoid going there if having her in an environment where she's happy and not overwhelmed (with hundreds of students around and frequent transitions with class/location changes), takes care of much of the behavior issues they were seeing at her former school.  Thanks for continuing to pray for her as she transitions and hopefully settles into a happy routine at Pathways.  

The picture is a collage poster Krissy and I worked on this week.  She loves printing LOTS of pictures off of the computer.  We're thankful that her funding provides ink and paper!

Oh yes, a headache update.  I almost forgot because I don't have one.  Yesterday I got into a chiropractor that I've gone to before who's been very helpful.  I had tried to get in over the Christmas holidays, but he was out.  ANYWAY.....I told him it feels like my neck is somehow very involved with these headaches.  He seemed genuinely amazed at how bad my neck was. They did some electrical stim therapy on my neck and then he adjusted it.  I felt so much better and still do.  Wish I had started there 4 weeks ago..... I am scheduled to go back tomorrow and want to make sure I'm where I need to be...he's not the kind who keeps you coming back unneccessarily, but as off as things were, he wanted me back once more this week.  I will keep my appt with the neurologist in 2 weeks to follow up on the MRI even if the headaches are completely resolved.  

I kept Benjamin home from school today.  He sounded like he was borderline croupy this morning before he got up.   I couldn't send him off to school that way....and I have now heard nothing since he got up.  He's happily playing (hookie!!) with his toys in the living room. Sorry Merrie....maybe tomorrow~

More news before long, no doubt~ Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment